Sunday, December 04, 2005

one day as a reporter...

hey lin! what you doing in UK - study what course? never tell...still thought you are at bugis. have a good study experience!

and now to my day yesterday...i was given a brief to go to the orchard area (botanic gardens and orchard) to get public i.e. consumers to test out video calling on a 3G phone (nokia of cos lar!) and pass me a quotatable comment. my gawd! we are such a self conscious/shy/inane/anal bunch of losers! what is wrong with being photo-graphed and asked comments on??? i cannot bloody get it.

so me and my camera guy went to botanic gardens to try catch families having a picnic, couples strolling etc...to get them to test out doing things like a video call with each other afterwhich i will interview them and ask simple questions like 'how did you find the experience? did you find it different/novel/pain in the ass (etc)?

the responses i got for people turning me down were nothing short of creative. whoever said singaporeans cannot think, should try out what i did. these guys had only like 30 secs to think of something to turn me down with.

me: hi, i am doing some research on an
article that i am
writing for a newspaper, i was hoping that you could help me
out...
guy
A: cannot cannot. i don't think i can.
me: i will just need you to give me
one line
on how you feel...
guy A: i don't read the papers.(and looks at
me as though i will challenge him.)
here's another good one that came up.

me: hi, i am doing some
research on an article that i am
writing for a newspaper, i was hoping
that you could help me out...
guy
B: i don't know anything about
technology.
me: can i show you this
process?
guy B: you show me also i don't know how to
do it. cannot.
bye bye. (and he flees the scene with wife and kid in tow)
in case, you think it's only the men who give anal answers.

me: hi, i am doing some research on an
article that i am
writing for a newspaper, i was hoping that you could help me
out...
girl
C: umm, umm (eyes start to look
around wildly for some excuse to reject me
when the baby she is carrying suddenly
starts to cry)
me: is the baby
ok?
girl C: cannot help you, my baby crying.(and she is away from me in a
flash.)
*she should have tried out for the SEA games 200m dash.*

well, at the end of the day, i got the number of quotes i needed for the article. would like to thank all those who didn't run away or reject me. hope the article comes out alright. after yesterday, i now empathise with the general news journos when they have to go out/on scene with their camera/video crews and get members of the s'porean public to comment on anything.

2 straight, not straightened:

At 12:28 PM, Blogger lin said...

BOO! in UK North Yorkshire, uni of York studying English (lit) and Philosophy. sorry lar, din mean to leave without a word, didnt want to broadcast as well. it was HEEREN btw. haha!! i think u'll love it here. quaint is the word u use to describe york. awe struck is what u say when ur 8 weeks into the lit course. and breathless is what u get when u wake up every morning and realise its the ceiling of the halls of residence that greets u instead of ur room. =)

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger lollipoop lollipoop said...

lorri wuz here *farts* ... wahahaha. joking. im too civilised to fart in front of ya just becos i wanna leave my mark. hmmm ...

oh and i thought my blogskin was original *wah* heheh. do u realise we have the same bloody blogskin and fonT ! except yours is in BABY BLUE and mine is in SWEET PINK ! how cute ! twin blog skins and matching fonts. wahahaha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home